Sleep it’s a wonderful thing. Gets us to wind down from the day and close our eyes and not think of the coulda,shoulda,woulda of the day. It helps us feel refresh the next morning and helps with recovery for our bodies. Yet, there are more individuals that struggle to get more than 5 hours of sleep a night.
Insomnia is the term for not being able to sleep and it is a medical condition too. But how can you change your sleeping patterns to make sure you are RESTFUL and not RESTLESS at night? Here are few tips:
- Try and go to sleep and get up in the morning at the same time every day.
- Avoid sleeping in- even on the weekends or after having a fun night out.
- Create a bed-time routine (wash your face, going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth, etc.)
- If you nap- make sure it is only a cat nap of 15-20 minutes (anything over that makes your body believe it is time to sleep for longer).
- Avoid electronics for 20 minutes before going to sleep (Facebook can wait until the morning).
- Spend sometime outside during the day.
- Avoid eating too much sugar for dessert.
- Keep a notepad near your bed for if you wake up worrying about getting things done.
If these tips don’t work talk to your doctor on what the best way to get some sleep is.